Drewie’s first, no punches pulled post. I’m really looking forward to what she will write next! I hope regular readers or anyone who relates to what she expresses here will welcome her and give her the positive encouragement that she needs and deserves. ENJOY:
Hard Hat Mentor Intro Post
Firstly may I start by saying I am blown away to be asked to contribute to this outstanding site. My fellow contributors are so very smart, have letters behind their names and I learn so much from them.
I am not a half-wit don’t get me wrong, I have street smarts, I have a masters’ degree at the school of hard knocks and am told my EQ Emotional Intelligence is off the scale. I have managed to climb the career ladder in my chosen field so I am intelligent enough I guess.
I do fondly call myself a ‘knuckle dragger’, a ‘busted arse miner’ and a ‘safety weirdo’. These names to me are not a put down, depending on how they are used, can even be bragging rights. I have used all of them in posts in the past and people like me ‘got it’ they knew I was not criticizing anyone, but making a point. I can and have mixed it up with the best of them at corporate level.
No letters behind ones name does not mean you cannot make a hell of a difference in our industry and be influential. It may mean that what I write will possibly differ from what my fellow contributors kindly share in the following ways:
- I have no ‘data’ to back up anything I post: Just a few decades gaining experience and lessons on sites all over our sunburnt country and was lucky enough to have one international posting.
- I have chosen to call myself ‘Hard Hat Mentor’ as most of my adult life has been spent wearing one.
- I am dedicated to helping our industry any way I can to stop people getting snotted. As are all of the contributors. (I will use words like snotted)
- I am determined to help our industry any way I can to deal the with all challenges presented in the FIFO lifestyle.
- I have spent so many years in a donga, I do consider myself worthy to mentor those who may not have yet found a way to not only survive but thrive in the lifestyle.
- I may, at times, swear in my posts, yet will strive to keep those words to a minimum and to bloody, bullshit and the like.
- I shoot from the hip, between the eyes, yet from the heart, it is who I am.
- I am an optimist a positive friendly soul, I shall see the best in everything and everyone. But the worm can and will turn if attacked unfairly or sees anyone being attacked unfairly.
- I am not going to wipe any butts, noses or eyes. Yet I will strive to help anyone who asks for it.
- I do not respect ‘trolls’ or anyone who jumps on the bandwagon for 15 minutes of fame or anyone who ‘gives it’ to someone whilst commenting and gets personal. Keep it respectful or rack off Noddy and go bother someone else.
- I have done so many jobs on the ground it the heat, dust and flies over the years, so please do not even go there ranting that I am probably a professional student or a shiny bum (though we need both in our game.)
- I will never pretend to be something I am not, I just want to give back, share with you some of my experiences and lessons which may help.
- I do not take myself too seriously so may talk about very serious topics with a humorous spin. I should be dead – twice, (very nearly was) due to ‘incidents’ on site. That is what started my whole safety weirdo trip back in the day. I do take it very seriously.
- I am a chick, probably not a politically correct term. Something else I may blunder on often. Guess you figured that out already by my logo. Man/Woman no difference. We get out there amongst it and work hard all together.
I could write a novel here yet this was supposed to be a short sharp intro so you knew what you were getting into, I will shut up after this next very important message.
My first suggestion: Check out the incredible resources on this site! So much to learn, even if some of it goes over your (my) head, pick and choose. Even the lists at the end of the posts (that I had to Google the concepts mentioned in some of said posts!), listed so many books and papers it was mind boggling. Just reading the comments was an education. Jump in boots and all. It’s Gold.
Finally, let’s stop all the bullshit, no victims here. The game is tough at the moment. Downturn or not if you are a safety weirdo, a corporate leader or anyone who gets on a plane to go to work or one who gets left behind, it has always been tough. The question is how are we going to choose to deal with it? On saying that I feel I may need you perhaps as much as you may (or may not) need me.
I really hope we can get some value adding discussions going and share what works just as much as what grinds your gears. Open to suggestions too for topics if you are keen. Not technical procedures and the like, if you can read you can be a safety weirdo, no offense but hey it’s true. To be a really engaging influential one, we need to talk about the ‘other stuff’ that’s where I will be going.
Thanks for reading to the end and I hope you will join me as we ‘play’ as I call it to help ourselves and others to learn how to get the most out of our chosen life, to suck the marrow right out of it.
Stay safe and keep smilin’
Hard Hat Mentor
PS if you ‘like’ a post please consider giving me (us) at least one sentence so we know why