Free Online Study – The Essence of Ethics in Risk
Anyone considering the essence of ethics in risk must start with an understanding of personhood, the ethic of helping/care and the nature of power. All are essential for any thinking in ethics. Such an understanding precedes any thought of identifying or responding to specific ethical issues which is why the AIHS BoK on Ethics is of no value to safety people if you are serious about the Essence of Ethics.
Ethics is the foundation of professionalism coming in at Chapter 38 of the AIHS BoK, says it all really. The deontological ethic of the AIHS BoK locks into a Natural Law ethic and all the problems associated with ‘do the right thing and check your gut’ (https://safetyrisk.net/the-aihs-bok-and-ethics-check-your-gut/). If ever there was a document that omitted the essence of ethics it is this chapter.
The idea of an ‘essence’ of something is in what is essential, what is foundational and of substance.
In many ways walking into the basics of ethics is somewhat of a minefield of wicked problems. The last thing you need in any study of ethics is some simplistic notion of decision making like ‘do the right thing and check your gut’.
Free Module – An Ethic of Risk
So, if you want to study the Essence of Ethics in Risk you can register at email@example.com for a free 6 module webinar series delivered by Dr Long commencing in 13 July 2021.
Those who register will be get and be expected to complete:
· Free access to the online video series of 17 lectures.
· Be expected to watch the 17 lectures before seminar commencement on 13 July.
· Your viewing of the videos is registered so it is known if you do or do not watch the lectures.
· Be expected to keep a journal of reflections and questions.
· Complete 6 face-to-face zoom seminars with Dr Long undertaken at 8-9am (GMT +10) each Tuesday starting on 13 July.
· Module completion is certified by the Centre for Leadership and Learning in Risk.
· Failure to undertake ALL components of this module will register as incomplete.
Please do not sign up unless you can commit to all of the above.
Places strictly limited to 50.
If you are interested in the essence of ethics then perhaps these links might be a start: