Another great post by the Safety Nerd:
Where the bloody hell are you?
Posted on December 3, 2011 by The Safety Nerd
Okay, so there was a lot of who-ha relating to the rush to the starting blocks being 1st January 2011 for these new WHS laws, but quite a few of the states at the eleventh hour are now saying ‘hold up, we are not ready!’, whereas other states have said ‘here we come, ready or not!’.
So….who’s on the band wagon to commence 1st January 2012? The Commonwealth, NSW, Queensland, ACT* and NT.
Those that aren’t starting 1st January 2012 include:
- Tassie who has deferred for 12 months
- WA hasn’t introduced the law in parliament yet so it’s unsure if the deferment will be 12 months, longer or shorter, but this may be clarified when WorkSafe WA hold a forum in the first 2 weeks in December.
- VIC also hasn’t introduced the law in parliament yet, and are stating and 12 months deferral should be sufficient.
- South Australia will continue to debate this issue when they resume Valentines Day 2012, but they have mentioned that they are keen to commence next year some time, so it may be March or July as they still have a few subjects to debate over proposed amendments.
- *ACT is anticipating commencing 1st January 2012, but have a default date of 29th March 2012 if all else fails.
Those states that are giving themselves extra time must be aware that if you work, design, manufacturer or supply anything to states that are running with the new laws 1st Jan 2011 may find themselves having to cover the new laws to comply in the states they are servicing, in particular the due diligence requirements.
So, if you’re in the fast lane, the slow lane or the pit stop, end of the day the finishing line is in sight, keep an eye out for my next blog on system compliance with the WHS laws and what you should be doing to prepare, because ‘ready or not, here it comes!’
The Safety Nerd x
(The Safety Nerd conducts harmonisation gap analysis’ to businesses across Australia – 0411 750 323)