Another article by the late, legendary Safety Guru, George Robotham.
George’s Safety Reflections-Number 6
The 10 most important things in a robust safety management system
- Have well developed internal standards of OHS excellence.
- Define what excellence in implementation of the standards will look like.
- Train everyone in the above.
- Have thorough audits of implementation of the standards led by senior managers.
- Comply with statute law as a minimum.
- Ensure you have highly effective OHS personnel, often difficult to achieve.
- Ensure highly effective safety leadership is driven from the top of the organisation.
- Keep safety communications succinct and targeted at the needs of the receiver, COMMUNICATE, COMMUNICATE, COMMUNICATE.
- Involve the relevant stakeholders in the development of an OHS plan truly applicable to your needs.
- Use industry accident experience, not just your enterprise accident experience to guide action.