5 dangerous materials that you should only let professionals handle

by Dave Collins on August 20, 2012

in Dangerous Goods



5 dangerous materials that you should only let professionals handle

Guest Post

There are tons of dangerous materials which individuals should not handle. If you are trying to get rid of any of these five materials you might be better off hiring someone with a skip bin to come over and cart these hazardous materials away for you.

Liquefied hydrogen: You may wonder why you would ever have liquefied hydrogen in your home. The fact is if you have any rockets that your kids may set off, liquefied hydrogen is probably in these. If you have an internal combustion engine, this likely contains some kind of liquefied hydrogen. Because hydrogen is so rare on earth (it would rather be in outer space) a good analogy for liquefied hydrogen would be a tightly wound coil; if it’s set loose it is very dangerous. Hydrogen catches fire more easily than gasoline. For that reason alone you should not handle disposal of any hydrogen type devices. It could pose great danger to you or others.

Chlorine: Because chlorine is used so regularly as a disinfectant you may think that you are properly qualified to get rid of waste containing chlorine. You should always be wary of how you dispose of chlorine. If chlorine gets back into your drinking water; it can be very bad. Even if chlorine gets into the ground and seeps in that way it can harm plant life, your garden, animals, even small children who are out playing in the dirt.

Adiponitrile: You may have never heard of adiponitrile before; you may not even know what it is. But if you have any kind of insecticide in your home that you’re hoping to get rid of you need to be wary of adiponitrile. If you have large amounts of insecticide in your home that you are hoping to get rid of you may be better off hiring someone or at the very least getting a skip bin to haul it away safely.

Formaldehyde: If you have gone totally retro and have set up a home photo shop to develop film in a dark room, you know all too well the dangers of formaldehyde. Not too many of us do our own embalming but formaldehyde is also a preservative. Formaldehyde is also used quite often in woodworking and other processes where using particle board or other laminated woodwork is common. Formaldehyde is very useful; it is also highly explosive. Ingestion of even a very small amount of it can cause virtual-instant death. You would hate to be the cause of another’s death because you were careless in your disposal of this liquid. Far better to have it carted off for you.

Asbestos: Not something you can see, asbestos is a mineral fiber which can be positively identified with a special microscope. Asbestos in itself is not an issue; if there is asbestos in anyplace in your home you should get it checked out. However if it’s safe you don’t need to do anything. Asbestos could be anywhere; roofing/siding shingles are made of asbestos cement. If your home was built between 1930 and 1950 there may be asbestos as a part of your insulation. Asbestos may also be in some types of paint, patching compounds, in wall and ceiling joints, on vinyl floor tiles, in oil and coal furnaces among many other places. If asbestos is deemed to be unsafe though you should not handle it when you are trying to get it removed. You should have a professional handle it and make sure that they do a thorough check that there is no asbestos remaining.

Be safe when getting rid of dangerous materials.

—————————–

Jesse writes for Adelaideskiphire business; Just Skips. If you have a large amount of non-dangerous material to get rid of, hire skip to fill up then let Just Skips take it away for you.

Previous post:

Next post: