Huge collection of free risk assessment advice, tips, forms, templates, Risk Registers, Checklists, completed examples, apps and guidelines
Disclaimer: To quote Dr Rob Long: “Unfortunately, many of the tools available to people in the safety industry are mechanistic in nature and shape the thinking of the human into a dumb down trajectory. Whilst it’s good to have a checklist or a template, it’s even more important to be aware of the purpose and inherent bias. The paradox is, some checklists and templates disable to capability of a person to think. So, this is not some simplistic put down of these tools but rather a challenge for safety people to remain vigilant in their thinking. This site more than anything attracts people who want templates and don’t get me wrong templates can save time and effort but they are not neutral and were developed by some other person for a purpose, that template has a trajectory and a purpose”.
FIRST SOME GREAT ADVICE ON HOW TO DO A RISK ASSESSMENT PROPERLY:
Very Popular article: How to Do the Best Risk Assessment
A risk assessment is a form of strategic planning and strategy methodology. The process attempts to think about the future by reflecting on the past. Most strategies are built upon specific beliefs about the future unfortunately, the future is unpredictable. The worst risk assessment is the one that denies …… Enjoy the rest of the article >>>>>
The risk management process consists of hazard identification, risk assessment and hazard control. Some people tend to get fixated on the risk assessment part and do not place enough emphasis on hazard control. Personally I find Haddon’s 10 countermeasures more useful than the hierarchy of controls when developing controls Risk assessment is …… Enjoy the rest of the article >>>>>
When it comes to risk assessment all templates look the same, as much a Safety loves templates, there is no value at all in duplicating someone else’s designed template. READ MORE >>>>>
Free Risk Assessment Matrix templates from SMARTSHEET
- How to Use a Risk Assessment Matrix Template
- Risk Assessment Matrix Template
- Risk Management Matrix Template
- Risk Control Matrix
- IT Risk Assessment Matrix Template
- Business Risk Assessment Matrix Template
- Risk Response Matrix Template
- Construction Risk Assessment Matrix Template
- Project Risk Matrix Template
- Make Better Decisions, Faster with Smartsheet Dashboards
WHAT IS A RISK ASSESSMENT MATRIX?
A risk assessment matrix is a chart that plots the severity of an event occurring on one axis, and the probability of it occurring on the other. You can also format the matrix as a table, where the risk likelihood and impact are columns, and the risks are listed in rows. By visualizing existing and potential risks in this way, you can assess their impact, and also identify which ones are highest-priority. From there, you can create a plan for responding to the risks that need the most attention.
A risk matrix chart is a simple snapshot of the information found in risk assessment forms, and is often part of the risk management process. These forms are more complex, and involve identifying risks, gathering background data, calculating their likelihood and severity, and outlining risk prevention and management strategies.
HOW TO USE A RISK ASSESSMENT MATRIX TEMPLATE
RISK ASSESSMENT TIPS FROM THE UK
The UK Health and Safety Executive (HSE) have published this brief guide to the assessment and control of risk. Download it here: A brief guide to controlling risks in the workplace
>>> NEW RISK MANAGEMENT CHECKLIST
More of a high order checklist, with thanks to Human Dymensions, to pick up on public risks associated with events: Public Event Risk Management Checklist – HD
If you are looking for Free Safety Checklists CLICK HERE
If you are looking for Free Safety Systems Documents CLICK HERE
If you are looking for Free Safe Work Method Statements / JSA’a CLICK HERE
Download Electronic Risk Score Calculator: (sorry, we had to retire this very popular download as the coding had become deprecated)
Other Risk Assessment Resources:
Risk Assessment Templates from SafetyCulture
Risk Assessment Templates
Identify hazards and prioritize safety controls with digital forms
- Risk Assessment and Control Template
- Dynamic Risk Assessment Template
- Risk Assessment Matrix Template
- Construction Risk Assessment Template
- Office Risk Assessment Template
- Manufacturing Risk Assessment
- Job Hazard Analysis Template
- Working at Height Risk Assessment Template
- Fire Risk Assessment Template
- COSHH Risk Assessment Form
- Excavation Risk Assessment Template
- Environmental Risk Assessment
- Risk Assessment and Control Template
- HSE Risk Assessment
- Manual Handling Risk Assessment
What is a Risk Assessment Template?
A risk assessment template is a tool used to identify and control risks in the workplace. It involves a systematic examination of a workplace to identify hazards, assess injury severity and likelihood, and implement control measures to reduce risks.
Use this basic risk assessment form to identify, assess and control hazards in the workplace. Learn how to use this template to perform an effective risk assessment and how to use a risk matrix in our beginner’s guide to performing risk assessments. This template can be used at any time when assessing risk and control measures but should be ideally conducted before the commencement of new tasks. It includes:
- A description of the procedure, task, or worksite being assessed
- Identify the hazards and document them
- Identify the risks associated with each activity
- Attach photos of the hazards
- Determine a risk rating
- Document the specific control measures taken to mitigate the risk
A risk matrix is used to assess the consequence, likelihood, and overall risk rating of a safety hazard. The first measure of the risk matrix, consequences, determines the severity of injuries, while likelihood determines the probability of a person getting injured in the event of hazard exposure. Consequences are categorized as fatality, major or serious injury, minor injury, and negligible injury. For likelihood, the indicators are very likely, likely, unlikely, and highly unlikely. Keep in mind that likelihood doesn’t measure the possibility of hazards but the injuries they can inflict upon a person.
More Free Risk Assessment Resources
- 21 Safety Engagement Tools and Techniques
- Electrical Equipment Risk Assessment Form electrical_equipment_risk_assessment_checklist
- Electrical Equipment Risk Assessment Checklist Electrical_Equipment_Risk_Assessment_v2.0
- Very comprehensive checklist that can be used to document a risk assessment to manage health and safety hazards and risks. health-safety-risk-assessment-template (1)
- Risk Assessment and Risk Control Form (ASSESSING & CONTROLLING RISKS FROM MANUAL TASKS): Risk Assessment – Risk Control Form – Manual Tasks
- Hazard Reporting Spreadsheet
- Task Risk Assessment Template: Task-Risk-Assessment-Template
- Dropped Object Risk Assessment, Guide and Cone Calculator: DROPPED OBJECTS
- Plant Hazard Identification & Risk Assessment Form: OHS&W Plant Specific Hazard Identification
- Hazardous Substances Risk Assessment Form: HAZ SUBST RISK FORM
- Get your free Risk Register Template Here: THE TROUBLE WITH RISK REGISTERS
- Risk Assessment Checklist Some good examples of Risk Assessment Checklists
- Forklift Risk Assessment Worksafe Qld are urging Employers to complete risk assessments on forklift activities following a spate of recent forklift related incidents
- Free Risk Assessment Form Use this free form to describe, analyse,assess, rate and control hazards or risks. Download Word version.
- Free Risk Assessment Forms Another great source of free risk assessment forms and templates.
- Risk Assessment… Anyone? Risk Assessment… Anyone? A valuable lesson in weight distribution when operating cranes. I’m pretty sure this wasn’t in the UK!!
- Risk Assessment Training Risk Assessment Training Found this really good risk management training outline published online by SMARTSAFE Download Here:
- Risk Assessment Forms Example risk assessment templates These completed examples from UK Health… The principals of risk assessment are the same for whatever industry you
- Office Risk Assessment Office Risk Assessment: Tips for Assessing Risks in an Office When discussingrisk assessment, most risk is attributed to …
- Free Risk Assessment Training The University of Newcastle website offers some excellent free safety training resources.
- Risk Assessment for Schools Risk Assessment for Schools Just came across this really neat site that assists teachers and lab technicians to complete school science experiment risk …
- Blank Risk Assessment Form Example of a blank risk assessment form from YHA used to assess risks associated with school excursions. Download Here: …
- Office Risk Assessment Tool UK Health and Safety Executive have released a new online risk assessment tool that they claim will: “help cut back the time it takes to weigh up the hazards in …
- Construction Risk Assessments The Construction Risk Assessments software package by Safety Services Direct consists contains over 60 …
School Events, Fetes, Fairs, Fundraisers and Carnivals
- School Fundraising Event planning checklist
- Non-profit fundraising risk management – alcohol, events and safety
- Amusement Devices – Planning for School Events
Supercharge Your Safety Meetings with Unlimited Streaming
Unlimited Streaming gives you unlimited access to a massive library of 140+ online safety training videos. All videos can be played on a TV or projector to train a room full of workers. It’s the best way to conduct engaging and memorable safety training meetings. See how Unlimited Streaming can supercharge your safety meetings..click here to watch an explanatory video at the Atlantic Training website.
- Fire Risk Assessment Software Fire Risk Assessment Software or Fire Consultant for your business Guest Posting by UK Fire Safety Solutions Fire Risk Assessment Software or Fire Consultant …
- Free Online Risk Assessment Tools The SAFETY GURU website offers a number of really neat online risk assessment tools. They are available for various tasks including :Working Alone, Driving at …
- Plant Risk Assessment–Brisbane Plant Risk Assessment Advantage Safety & Risk Management Services are experienced safety consultants working in and around the Brisbane area. They have …
- Free Fire Risk Assessment Forms Free Fire Risk Assessment Forms FIRE RISK ASSESSMENT provides some excellent fire safety risk assessment resources including a free risk assessment …
Hazard Identification, Assessment and Control Procedures from UWS – Download Document
- Tunnelling Risk Assessment
- Risk Assessments for High Schools. Risk Assess is online software that makes performing risk assessments for Science quick and easy for teachers and laboratory technicians. Visit Website
- Blank Risk Assessment Form in Excel Format Down load here: Risk Assessment Template
- Use this form to describe, analyse, assess, rate and control hazards or risks. Includes a 1 to 25 risk matrix as commonly required by Govt departments. – OSHA HIRARC
- Comprehensive Project Risk Assessment Questionnaire template used to identify, analyse and control risks that will impact the project and the level of threat they pose to the project’s success.: Risk_Assessment_Questionnaire_Template
- Very Cute “Fish Bone” or Cause and Effect Diagram Template: QLA-FishboneTemplate
- Here is a really neat free template provided by Builders Net. The interactive form lets you choose hazards and appropriate safety control measures or insert your own from the extensive drop down boxes. This format complies with all requirements and relevant codes. Download Here:
- One of our favourite sources of free Safety Photos and Safety Jokes – www.safetyphoto.co.uk – is also a great source for free risk assessment forms and templates. These are all blank and mostly in word for so that you can adapt them to suit your own needs. Please note the message in their intro and disclaimer.VIEW THEM HERE>>>>>
- Free Work Method Statements
- On Safe Lines have released their new TIRA free software. TIRA stands for Task Inventory and Risk Assessments and is a comprehensive risk management and analysis program, designed to be used by both the safety professional and those with part time safety responsibilities. The screen shots and description look very impressive, particularly for a free program. I haven’t reviewed the program but will do a review when I get a chance. Thoughts of others who have tried it would be welcome Download the program here
- Basic Risk Register Template for recording site hazards and risks including planned controls and before and after risk ratings. Download Here:
- JSA Template. Use this template to conduct job hazard analysis and risk assessments on individual tasks to assist in developing Job Safety Analysis (JSA) and Safe Work Method Statements (SWMS). Download Here:
- Event Risk Management Checklist – Equestrian Federation of Australia
- Hazard Report Form. One of the main complaints we get from employees and contractors during the interview phase of safety audits is that when they report something, like a hazard, it is either forgotten about, ignored or not actioned for a long time and they never receive recognition for reporting the issue or feedback about progress with resolution or control. Many companies have introduced a formal hazard reporting system to overcome this problem. The system incorporates a form similar to the one available below and a procedures whereby the form is recorded, commented on by those responsible and feedback given to the originator. You’ll see that ours has an important addition – adding the issue and controls to any site safety checklists that are regularly undertaken to ensure that the hazard has been controlled appropriately.Download Here:
National Emergency Risk Assessment Guidelines (NERAG)
This DRAFT is one of the simplest, yet all encompassing, guides to the principles of risk management and the risk management tools involved that I have come across. Produced for Emergency Services personnel as part of the the National Emergency Risk Assessment Guidelines (NERAG) Project is a key step in the Implementation Plan for the National Risk Assessment Framework that has been developed to meet the outcomes sought by Reform Commitment One (RC1) from the Council of Australian Governments’ (COAG) report on natural disaster mitigation, relief and recovery in Australia. Although is used to assess disasters and emergencies, the principals and tools are relevant to any situation or workplace hazard. It covers the use of tools such as ALARP, Risk Assessment Matrix, Bow Tie Diagram, Risk Curves, Risk Registers, Brainstorming and Risk Workshops with some simple examples. Download Here:
Useful Risk Assessment Tools from Workcover
- Health and safety self assessment checklist for small business: ISBN-Health-and-safety-self-assessment-checklist-for-small-businesses-2021-08
- Risk Register and Risk Management Plan: risk-management-plan-multiple-hazards
- Small Business Safety Assessment Tool – Worksafe This checklist is intended for small businesses to determine what safety issues may need to addressed or improved, and when more information may be needed.
- Chemical Self Assessment Tool – Worksafe This tool is designed to help manage chemicals safely, meet legal requirements and protect people and the environment. Chemical safety requires a thorough, technical approach, especially to ensure the subtle and hidden hazards do not lead to catastrophic results. This self assessment tool is designed to assist in this task for sites that have a significant exposure to chemical hazards.
- Safety Self Assessment Tool – Workcover This tool has been developed to give small and medium sized businesses an indication of how well they are handling their workplace health, safety and injury management and provide further guidance for improvement.
Some good examples of Risk Assessment Checklists
- Manual Handling Risk Management Checklist: Risk Assessment – Risk Control Form – Manual Tasks
- UV Risk Assessment Checklist for Outdoor Workers: UV_Risk_Assessment_Checklist-1
- Electrical Safety Risk Assessment Checklist: electrical_equipment_risk_assessment_checklist
- HSDG RA. This checklist is used to assist in conducting a risk assessment for hazardous substances and chemicals in the hairdressing, nail and beauty industry. CLICK HERE
- Machinery and Plant Risk Assessment Checklist:
- This Checklist should be completed as part of the overall Risk Management Plan for Your Event:
- Risk Assessment Checklist for Occupational Violence: violence_checklist
- Falls Risk Assessment Checklist from Vic Health: Falls Risk Assessment Tool
- Pre Purchase Risk Assessment Tool for Plant and Machinery from ANU: Pre Purchase Risk Assessment Checklist
- Risk Assessment Checklist for Volunteer Activities from Education TAS: Volunteer-Risk-Assessment-checklist
- Risk Assessment Checklist and Guidelines for Emergency Planning: Emergency Preparedness
- RISK MANAGEMENT FOR COMMUNITY ORGANISATIONS By WA Dept of Sport and Recreations. Includes Community RiskBase User’s Guide. Download Here:
- Manual Handling Assessment Checklist – Safe Work Australia Risk Assessment – Risk Control Form – Manual Tasks
- Contractor Risk Assessment Form – Port of Brisbane – PBPL Risk Assessment Form
- Field Activity Risk Assessment Form
- Liability Risk Assessment Template – A really good, practical tool used by Dept of Defence Procurement Dept. Down load here: LRA_Template
- Strategic Risk Assessment Template – Dep Primary Industries. Download Here:
- Task Risk Assessment Template – DPI. Download Here task-risk-assessment-template
Event Risk Assessment and Management
- Checkout this really useful tool from VMIA – Risk Management Tools and Resources
- Guide to Managing Risk at Public Events – Download Here:
- Event Risk Management Checklist – Equestrian Federation of Australia
- Link to Macquarie University’s Events Manual. Covers marketing, public liability, planning, security and safety
Risk Assessments From The UK Dept of Schools
General / Workplace
Travel / Fieldwork
Lone and Out of Hours working
New and Expectant Mothers
Perhaps have a look at what regulators and government agencies give out as risk assessment templates. It’s all the same:
Risk Assessment Template for the Workplace | Free Download
Download Safeti’s free Risk Assessment Template for the workplace (Basic & Advanced) to start developing your own risk assessments and stay legally compliant.
JESI completely removes the need for paper-based forms – Saving you time and money. Download your free Risk Assessment Guide now. Remote Worker Management Solutions. Get Started For Free. No Credit Card Required. View Case Studies. See Our Products. Read Blog.
Checklist, Planning Tips, Budget Template, Marketing & Event Management For Races. 40 Steps to Organise a Race Successfully. Complete Checklist when planning a race. Find New Participants. Virtual Race Management. Easy Timekeeping Control. Efficient Race Management.
Ensure Your Organisation Is Covered By Implementing WHS Procedures & Policies. Access A Range Of HR Policy Templates From WHS To Dismissal Policy. Helpful Blogs. Printable Version. Periodically Reviewed. Large Collection. Award Winning. Secure Data. Customisable. Cloud-based. Automated. Smart Integrations. Services: Compliant Contracts, Paperless Onboarding, Employee Management.