Lifting Safety Slogans
According to a 2009 OSHA report, back injuries are the number one work-related injury reported (http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=FACT_SHEETS&p_id=146). OSHA goes on to state that three-fourths of back-related injuries were lifting related, and most of the injuries were preventable through proper lifting techniques. Of course, in reading these statistics, managers of lifting-related industries find reasons for concern for their own employees and workplaces. Fortunately, proper lifting techniques, safety management, and safety slogans can all help lessen the occurrence of lifting-related back injuries. Since we have already discussed proper lifting techniques and safety management in previous posts, let’s look at some lifting safety slogans that may help your employees remember to take the time necessary to lift properly.
Lifting Safety Slogans
Safety slogans have proven helpful in a variety of work situations. The slogans can serve as catchy reminders to an employee for many tasks, including lifting. The following are just a few safety slogans you may wish to implement in your safety management.
- Lifting’s a breeze when you bend at the knees.
- Lift with your legs, not your back.
- Remember, a small size does not always mean a light load.
- Don’t hip – be sure you have a tight grip on the object before you lift it.
- Don’t arch your back–avoid reaching out for an object.
- Lift Smart – Think, Then Start!
- Protect your back – use a jack.
- Get help if the load’s too heavy.
Other slogans related to safety are available, but if you cannot find a slogan that fits for your situation, you can easily write your own slogan. The basics for safety slogans are simple: be direct, write simply, make it funny, and/or make it rhyme. With these basics, you can write a slogan directly related to lifting or any other safety issue in your workplace.
Safety slogans in themselves may serve as welcome reminders to employees to lift properly, however, following a safety slogan implementation protocol has proven to be more effective in injury prevention. Remember to implement the safety slogan as follows:
- Introduce the slogan at a fun safety meeting.
- Remind employees to lift properly by posting the slogan in lift zones.
- Managers should use the slogans to remind offending employees to lift properly.
- End monthly meetings by reminding employees of the safety slogan.
- Hold a rewards meeting when back-related injuries decrease.
Overall, jobs in which heavy lifting is commonplace can provide numerous opportunities for back injuries. However, through education, management, and safety slogans, many injuries can be prevented. Because lifting’s a breeze when you bend at the knees.